From: TICKNER TREVOR (RM1) Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 December 2003 10:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Duplicate requesting

The discussion on repeat requesting and subsequent concerns over our right to exist is interesting, if only to demonstrate the difference in approach between ourselves and others in health care delivery who are much more confident in their own worth.

May I suggest the following are self-evident.

1) All chemistry tests were developed in the laboratory.
2) If we, collectively, are unable to use a chemistry result to add value to the clinical process then other clinicians cannot do so.

3) Objectivity in data usage is part of our creed. This may explain why much of the discussion is concerned with the way we can 'automate' (through computer based rules) our opinions.

4) The rate of growth in test usage (both new applications of current tests or introduction of new tests) is outstripping our ability to develop objective rules or even quantify the limitations of new assays.

I do not believe that the day of the consultant chemical pathologist or clinical scientist is nearing its end. Rather we have to accept the challenge in (yet more) change.

Within the UK we are having to develop strategies for ensuring proper training in use of medical devices. I am a member of a group in my hospital looking into training needs. Two important corollaries have surfaced. Training is not enough. One must certify, both before and periodically, the skills of users of devices. There are two types of device; those used in therapy and those used in diagnosis and monitoring. Use of a diagnosis/monitoring device must include, where appropriate, an ability to 'interpret' the output. Training and ongoing certification means that we have to be involved in devising standards for both use and interpretation and subsequent monitoring of those standards.

It is less a matter of whether our posts are necessary as how we are to find the time to take on expanding roles which we shall, no doubt, try to automate.

Trevor Tickner,
Norwich