From: Les Culank [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 12:26 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: "free Testosterone" - 2 wrongs don't make a right, do they?

----------
From: Les Culank <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:25:00 +0100
To: John Kane <[log in to unmask]>

Wasn't it Richard Nixon who said "if 2 wrongs don't make a right, try 3"?

Would he have compounded the uncertainty of testosterone assay, & the
uncertainty of SHBG assay, with the uncertainty of adding on a so-called
"free testosterone" calculation.

Our clinical colleagues here generally accept that serum SHBG is not a
worthwhile routine request with testosterone, neither in theory nor in
practice (nor even in the popular usage of neurone-free test protocols).

In the context of Taieb's paper referred to below, & at:-
 http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/reprint/49/8/1381.pdf
is it time not only for a major focus on testosterone assays, as suggested,
but also to reconsider what place (if any) SHBG should have with them?

Best wishes,

Les

> From: John Kane <[log in to unmask]>

> I totally agree with Jonathan that a concerted effort is now needed to
sort
> this problem out. Everybody who measures testosterone in female samples
> should at least read the article in Clinical Chemistry and ask searching
> questions of their suppliers as to the validity of their assays. For
whatever
> reason (poor precision, cross reaction etc.) many of the female
> testosterone results obtained using direct assays are wrong (usually
> resulting in incorrectly high levels being reported). I think that in the
> first
> instance laboratory staff can help by ensuring that no female testosterone
> results which may indicate serious pathology (>5.0 nmol/l) are sent out
> without being confirmed by an extraction technique. In the Clin Chem
> article even these techniques were shown not to be ideal but in our hands
> the extraction assay gives lower results (to a greater or lesser degree)
than
> the direct method in nearly all samples. Some samples with results >5.0
> nmol/l by the direct method end up back in the reference range (<2.4)
after
> extraction. Of course those patients that still have a high testosterone
level
> after extraction are the ones that need further investigation.
>
> John Kane
>

> Date sent:              Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:10:17 +0100
> Send reply to:          JG MIDDLE <[log in to unmask]>
> From:                   JG MIDDLE <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:                Testosterone assays better than guessing?

>> Listmembers who have agonised over which testosterone assay to use in
>> women should be aware that a random number generator may be just as
>> useful!
>>
>> The latest edition of Clinical Chemistry includes an article
>> describing a major comparison study of commercial immunoassays with
>> ID-GCMS (the reference method), and an Editorial deploring the current
>> state-of-the-art of testosterone assays.
>>
>> Go here for links
>> http://www.ukneqas.org.uk/saf01.htm
>>
>> To those who have followed the UK NEQAS ID-GCMS exercises over the
>> years (you can download a pdf of the latest one for testosterone from
>> the SAF link), these findings will come as no surprise.
>>
>> A major collaborative effort between laboratory, clinical and industry
>> personnel is needed to address this issue.
>>
>> Useful discussions were had at the UK NEQAS SAF meeting last December;
>> more concerted action is needed now.
>>
>> Jonathan Middle

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk