I understand that the new GP contract includes cover until 18.30 so things
may get a little easier in the early evening.

We have had a shift system in since 1995. If we get an abnormal result that
cannot be 'phoned to an appropriate clinician I expect to be informed by the
BMS. One then has to make a decision whether immediate intervention is
necessary or if it can wait until the surgery opens the next morning. If it
is the former one can but do one's best. Often this means discussions with a
deputising service which does not always offer a satisfactory solution.
Where it is a request from OPD I usually involve the SpR on duty since
he/she will have to initiate any necessary action (e.g. arrange admission)
and is in a better position to lookup contact numbers etc.

Since shift working is intended to use 'free' analytical time, 'unexpected'
serious abnormalities often come to light outside base (daytime) hours.

We are awaiting a secure remote connection to allow the duty consultant to
lookup data on the hospital computer which may make it easier to make
decisions on the clinical situation. (See Jonathan's contribution).

I shall be interested in the legal view of responsibility once one has
knowledge of a serious derangement.

Trevor Tickner
Norwich