-----Original Message-----
From: Wills Philip (Queen Elizabeth Hospital NHS Trust) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 November 2003 10:24
To: [log in to unmask]

Many thanks for those replies to my original letter some of which I feel missed my point.Yes,of course the three of us cover 9 (or earlier) to 7 (or later) on site  5 days a week ,Saturdays on site,and all the hours outside the laboratory normal working hours on the end of a phone without any recognition/remuneration/time off etc. etc. and also telephone cover for absent colleagues in neighbouring hospitals.This seems to be most people's experience and I am sure there are many worse-off people out there.

The point I was making was the qualitative nature of cover to be provided in 24/7.I was thinking of the numerous enquiries during the current working day ranging from "what specimen" to rather more esoteric queries which it may not be possible to handle from home because we do not have access to the hospital information system.In other words, if our BMS colleagues in the lab. are providing the same repertoire of service at 2 am as it does at 2 pm,then maybe the expectations of our profession will be assumed  to be available 24/7 without any thought or negotiation.We do not wish to be disenfranchised because 3 of us cannot offer day-time type of service 168 hours a week.As a profession,we should meet this problem head-on before it hits us first.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute, or take any action or reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender. Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.