From: Harold Nelson
Sent: 18/08/2003 12:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Judgment and Decision-making

Dear Lubomir et al

At present I am working on a project developing a course on judgment
and decision making for a graduate program in Strategic Planning  for
Critical Infrastructures. The distinction I make between judgment and
decision making is based on the work I am doing with Erik Stolterman.
It is based on the understanding that these two distinctions represent
two types of knowledge. The first type is a form of knowledge that can
be separated from the decision maker, has application to other
situations, can be communicated to other decision makers, can be stored
in information systems etc.  The second type of knowledge cannot be
separated from the knower and has no instrumental value outside of the
situation for which it was produced and is only revealed through the
actions of the judgment maker. Learning how to make good judgments then
becomes a very different enterprise from learning to make good
decisions.

Harold