I have just returned from a stint as casual research officer (to being
redundant in my current library project, but hey, what's new in this
profession). After having seen how successfully the British Army is running
a project for disaffected pupils, perhaps they should come in and run
libraries ?

Read further:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/1205501.stm

http://society.guardian.co.uk/practice/story/0,8115,451083,00.html

Short sharp shock

When he visited an army training scheme for disaffected children, John
Crace expected a boot camp. Instead, he found a surprising success story

Tuesday March 13, 2001

I suppose it was inevitable really. At the first hint of an emergency, the
government is generally quick to announce its plans to send in the troops
to mop up the floods or drive the ambulances and fire-engines. So the only
surprise is that it is has taken this long for the army to be sent into
schools.