Hi Christian,

I have tried to use MELODIC to get the noise components, and then use these
noise components as EVs, as you suggested in the mail archive.
I'm afraid some things are not completely clear to me:

- You suggested to use first the noise regressors in the model, and then the
regressors of interest. I do not understand why the order of EVs would make
a difference?

- I have tried it with 10 noise EVs, and 1 EV of interest (EV11, which is a
simple square wave). EV11 was orthogonalized to the first 10 EVs. Further,
for the 10 noise EVs I turned off convolution, temporal filtering and
temporal derivative. Then I got my design matrix with a very odd looking
EV11, caused by the orthogonalization (I think): the square wave could no
longer be recognized. The contrast I was interested in was (0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1) So far so good I hope.
The results I got however were less significant than when analyzing with
only the square wave (no noise regressors): z-scores dropped (for example
the highest z-score dropped from 14 to 12). Do you think my approach is
correct? If so, isn't it surprising to see effects of interest become less
significant with 11 Evs, of which 10 explain noise?

Thanks a lot,
Serge.