Hello!

Fiona MacLean from CancerBACUP suggested that you may be a good source of
information on this subject.  I am currently working as Information Manager
on the Managed Knowledge Networks for cancer, coronary heart disease and
mental health project in the West of Scotland.

We are in the process of identifying and evaluating indexing/classification
systems for use in the 3 internet portals we will be developing. As patient
care is pivotal to Managed Clinical Networks, we thought it would be
important to include patient indexes in our evaluation. See below for what
we've found so far!

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any further information on
patient indexes you have identified or used.  Also, in our discussions so
far, one specific question has been raised - "Have any patient indexes
been cross-referenced/mapped to MeSH?"  Do any of you know if this has been
done?

Many Thanks in Anticipation!
Lorraine

Lorraine McLeod
Information Manager
Knowledge Services Group
NHS Education for Scotland
Third Floor
2 Central Quay
89 Hydepark Street
Glasgow
G3 8BW

0141 223 1555

Health Promotion Thesaurus (HPMULTI)
http://www.hpmulti.net/
The European multilingual thesaurus on health promotion in 12 languages
concerns the key issues of health education, health promotion and
patient education at European level. The selected descriptors of health
issues are mostly related to health behaviour and issues, which are
often subjects of patient education, consumer information and
educational materials. The emphasis has been placed on the practice of
health promotion.
The choice of concepts is based on the field of health promotion in the
participating European regions. Some concepts can be more important in
one region than in another.

Popular Medical Index (Clover Index)
www2.rgu.ac.uk/library/index.htm

Help for Health (Health Direct Database)
http://www.hfht.org/index.htm