TNF-Receptor Associated Periodic Syndrom (TRAPS) (also known as Periodic
Fever) is inherited as an autosomal dominant condition and has been found to
be due to mutations in the TNF alpha receptor 1 gene.  See abstract below or
follow link to PubMed
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u
ids=11722598&dopt=Abstract). Also see OMIM
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=142680)

Steve Davis
Royal Glamorgan Hospital.

Eur J Haematol 2001 Aug;67(2):105-9
Periodic fever (TRAPS) caused by mutations in the TNFalpha receptor 1
(TNFRSF1A) gene of three German patients.

Rosen-Wolff A, Kreth HW, Hofmann S, Hohne K, Heubner G, Mobius D, Zintl F,
Gahr M, Roesler J.

Kinderklinik des Universitatsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus, Labor Klinische
Forschung, Dresden, Germany. [log in to unmask]

TNF-receptor-associated periodic syndrome (TRAPS) is a recently recognized
disorder characterized by prolonged attacks of high fever and severe
localized inflammation. TRAPS is caused by dominant mutations in the 55 kDa
TNF receptor gene (TNFRSF1A). We here describe three German TRAPS patients
of two families with Cys30-->Arg and Thr50-->Met mutations, respectively.
Both mutations have already been observed before in other nonrelated
families. The Thr50-->Met amino acid exchange, caused by an ACG-->ATG
transition, has been reported in two other families of different ethnic
background. The possibility that the ACG-->ATG sequence alteration is a
mutational hot spot causing TRAPS is discussed. Furthermore, we describe and
discuss the symptoms of our patients, possible inducers of febrile attacks,
and treatments which the patients had received when their diagnoses were
still unknown.

PMID: 11722598 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]