I do not believe this would raise any significant ethical concerns in the
U.S. Parents may consent for their minor children for most any medical
procedure, including research studies (although, in some cases, the child's
assent is obtained). Most THC immunoassays have a very low false-positive
rate, but I might remind the GP that confirmation of a positive result is
advisable. I also might tell him that a negative test does not rule out
marijuana use, either--the mother should be told that the test will, under
most circumstances, only detect recent use.

Roger

Roger L. Bertholf, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pathology
Director of Clinical Chemistry & Toxicology
University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville