I share your concerns also and have mainly used clinical details in the
authorisation zone, but feel that returning what we have received
(perceived) on the request forms maybe relrvant to the doctor's
understanding of our comments.
It is evident that there are two major uses we could make of clinical
details - retrospective audit and test request control. Both depend on the
details being correct and recognisable by the system. Alas this is not
always possible, since details may be manipulated to 'justify' requests
rather than inform the laboratory computer.
I currently use clinical details to spot LMP requirement for gonadotrophins
etc. as part of rule bases at requesting. While recognising the failings, I
feel strongly that we should persevere, since when we are all linked
bi-directionally with our customers within and without the hospital, we will
be ready to receive the data for both clinical details (justification) and
working diagnosis, and then we will have everything we need to do massive
accurate and informed data analysis, evidence base development and request
control, as well as counting clouds, cuckoos and flying pigs!

With best wishes
Richard
Biochemistry Department
Queen Mary's Hospital