Hi,

We were just wondering what the current best practice is with regards to
screening for Downs Syndrome in IVF pregnancies. Our request form currently
asks if the pregnancy is IVF (tick box) so we do not generally know what
type of IVF is being used.

The question is:

Papers have been published which suggest marker levels (HCG) are altered in
IVF pregnancies (Wald et al B J OG 1999) and they published a correction
factor for HCG MoMs. However, the paper is less than enthusiatic abou
providing this screening service in IVF pregnancies. So do we:

a) Correct and Calculate
b) do no correction
c) do no screening

We would welcome comments/views and current practice in other centers.

Craig Webster
Tony Hitch
Nottingham City Hospital