UK Colleagues,

It should come as no surprise that a wider range of healthcare
professionals, both in hospitals and primary care, need to use our services.
We, as participating healthcare professionals, need proactively to take on
board the responsibilities of guiding appropriate testing and interpretation
for this extended user base with their slightly different perspectives to
out traditional medical users and adjust our practices accordingly. This can
only play to the strengths we as clinical and healthcare scientists have
claimed for many years.

It is no accident that in the documanetation for the new NHS career and pay
structures under Agenda for Change "communication" is both the first skill
listed in the NHS Job Evaluation Scheme and the first core dimension in the
Knowledge and Skills Framework which will guide our future performance
reviews.

Geoff Lester
Consultant Biochemist, Royal Berkshire Hospital
Secretary, Federation of Clinical Scientists