Beal refers to Harvard MS Eng. 266 as a 'transcript of Complaints probably
made from the edition of 1591', and he is not very often wrong (he tends to
use 'probably' where lesser mortals might just assert things in my
experience). I haven't looked at it, but one does sometimes come across
careful transcriptions from printed texts, some of which even transcribe the
colophons and so on. This is a dim memory, but I have a feeling BL Harley
6910 does this kind of thing (certainly I've seen a Spenser MS in the BL at
some point in my travels which is clearly a transcription from print, but
these things melt from the mind so readily). Sadly one can't claim much for
this sort of MS, though it might be significant as an indicator of the
price/scarcity/value of the volume if there were two roughly contemporary MS
transcriptions of the printed text. Also they're a useful way of picking out
the mannerism of a particular scribe (you can see what kinds of things he
likes to do if you can be sure you have the copy from which he was working).
As for illustrations by Hillyard, well you can hope... There is the Bodleian
Harington MS which lovingly pastes in engravings from Italian eds of
Ariosto, and there are also some curiously perfect MS emblem books complete
with illustrations out there; so you never know what you might find. Scribes
do sometimes want to make books. But I guess that the Harvard MS won't shake
the spheres.

Happy nearly new year.

Colin Burrow, Fellow and Tutor, Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge CB2
1TA
tel: 01223 332483
web: http://www.english.cam.ac.uk