  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 7:31 AM
  Subject: Pilates Core Training Myths?

  < I was referring to past discussions (which ended up with people getting
  into heated debates) about TVA in which you were, in effect, refuting the
  role of the TVA, its dysfunction and isolated training.  I was ribbing you in
  a good natured way because of your use of the TVA in order to kick Pilates
  around some more.  In other words, you were arguing both sides of the coin
  and I was kidding you about it. >>

  *** I know!  Anyway, I don't bother to pay any special attention to my TvA,
  since my neural computer seems to have served me well for many decades of
  participation in life and very strenuous Olympic weightlifting and martial
  arts.  Whether or not my TvA or any other individual muscle has been playing
  some sort of superordinate role I do not really know, but whatever my
  computer has done it seems to have recruited some quite appropriate muscles
  to make my daily and sporting life a real pleasure, despite the apparent
  risks of training most days with very heavy loading.

  I often argue several sides to any given debate - that helps to clear out
  many of the cobwebs of bias and belief.  Moreover, it iterates the admonition
  expressed by the ending of a book that I always suggested that my students
  read, namely"Illusions" (Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah) by Richard Bach -
  the ending said "Everything in this book may be wrong".

  Anyway, this weekend our home in Denver will be filled with some interesting
  times discussing TvA and core stability, because one of the world's great
  researchers in this field, Dr Stuart McGill and some of his PhD students from
  Canada are spending a few working days with us.  His detailed new book, "Low
  Back Disorders" (Human Kinetics) specially aimed at therapists will be of
  great interest to members of this list.   What I have read of it so far has
  convinced me that it is a very useful and informative addition to my library.

  Dr Mel C Siff
  Denver, USA
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Supertraining/