Mel,

I was referring to past discussions (which ended up with people getting into heated debates) about TVA in which you were, in effect, refuting the role of the TVA, its dysfunction and isolated training.  I was ribbing you in a good natured way because of your use of the TVA in order to kick Pilates around some more.  In other words, you were arguing both sides of the coin and I was kidding you about it.

Jason

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 9:14 AM
Subject: Pilates Core Training Myths?

< You've been extremely critical in the recent past of training TVA (even
though solid literature was being cited), now you're saying it's
"scientific"?  Have you changed your strong opinions? >>

*** I don't know how you could infer that from what I cited.  I simply shared
the observations of someone  who worked professionally with Richardson,
Hodges etc, but offered no comments on whether or not isolated TvA activation
is of any value in enhancing trunk stability of non-pathological patients or
diminishing LBP in some populations.

My view is that it is oversimplistic to consider any single muscle as the key
to any dynamic mobility and stability of the trunk over all of its range of
movement.  Moreover, far too much is sometimes made of changes in the timing
of TvA activation in LBP patients because similar changes occur in several
muscles  prior to movement (see articles and books by Berthoz, for example on
this issue).  We need to appreciate that a great deal of motor action
involves predictive, feedforward processes, so that all the research being
done on real-time proprioception and feedback processes needs to be balanced
with much more research on the predictive, "virtual reality" aspects of
movement which take place in the central nervous system before movement even
begins.

Dr Mel C Siff
Denver, USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Supertraining/