"Buona pulcella fut Eulalia": that's the first line of the oldest surviving poem (written shortly after 878) in the French language and after the Strasbourg Oaths one of the chief monuments of Old French, remembered with varying degrees of fondness by many, at least, who have studied that tongue.  For those who don't know the poem (which is in sequence form), here's a site with text, translation into modern French, photographs of the manuscript, and some bibliography:
http://www.restena.lu/cul/BABEL/T_CANTILENE.html

I envy Theresa her experience of the site.

Best,
John Dillon

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:28:40 -0600
 Theresa Gross-Diaz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Ste Eulalia has been a favorite of mine since visiting her shrine (her "oven")  in Merida.  The excavations under the church, and the development of a burg around her grave, are fascinatingly reminiscent of the necropolis below  and "Borgo" around that of St Peters in Rome.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]