> It is possible for us to conceive of a strict separation between
> spiritual and temporal power, perhaps.  That might seem neat--to have
> the Church solely concerned with spiritual matters and only temporal
> rulers concerned with jurisdiction and war.

It might be appropriate to recall that the experience of the Church's
involvement in the Crusades substantially changed its attitude
towards warfare.  The Crusading orders of the Hospitallers and the
Templars provided models for a specifically Christian type of knight.
 In the words of Guibert de Nogent: 'In our own time, God has
instituted a holy manner of warfare, so that knights and the common
people . have found a new way of winning salvation. . They can obtain
God's grace in their accustomed manner and dress, and by their
accustomed way of life.'  That said, abuses certainly did occur, as
they do at all times and in all circumstances.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]