>From: Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]>
>Stephen (d. c. 35)  Protomartyr.  Stephen's life is recounted in Acts chs.
>6-7.

In some places in Ireland, St. Stephen's Day is the occasion of "wren day"
folk practices and processions (see http://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/wren.html
for an example, though I'm not endorsing the commentary on its pre-Christian
origins or symbolism or the assumption that all mumming is essentially
identical; nice pictures of the Dingle procession, though). There's much
disagreement about the origins of hobby horse customs in Ireland and
Britain. I'm wondering: can any of the listmembers refer me to folk customs
outisde of Ireland involving the hunting of small birds?

Also, does anyone know the etymology of the Welsh word for wren?

Francine Nicholson

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_eliminateviruses_3mf

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]