>From: Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]>
>the Book of Kells V&C is itself iconographically related to earlier
>Egyptian examples, I believe.
>
>or, perhaps that theory is no longer au courant.

Egyptian? I hadn't heard that. I have heard suggestions of influence from
farther east.

>the whole thing is sometimes said to be some kind of perversion of the
>Isis/Osiris cult.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "perversion." I'm aware of suggestions that
certain statues and paintings depicting the V&C are modelled on earlier
examples of Isis and Osiris. Visually, that seems pretty obvious. However,
does that mean an entire cultus was modeled on Isis and Osiris? I'd need to
see more evidence before accepting that.

Francine Nicholson

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf

to: [log in to unmask]