>From: Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]>
>i'd always thought (wrongly) that the Salem witches, etc., of the 1690s
>were burned, but it appears that they were either hanged or "pressed to
>death" (which latter seems a peculiarly exquisite way to go).

One of my main interests (apart from Celtica but not wholly unrelated) is
ideas about witchcraft in seventeenth century New England and prosection of
cases. In Massachusetts, witchcraft was a capital crime and execution for
all capital crimes was by hanging. As in England, torture, threats, and
coercion were used to extract confessions and testimonmy against others.
Giles Corey refused to answer questions--he took the position that the
geenral court that commissioned the trials had no jurisdiction over him--so
he was subjected to various torture and died while being pressed. However,
the majority of those *accused* of witchcraft were not executed, although
it's unknown how many died in jail (the evidence we have suggests that there
may have been many). Trials for witchcraft went on for at least 70 years,
and it's clear that records survive for only some of the accusations. For
example, the records for the 1690 trial of my collateral ancestor, Elizabeth
Morse, indicate that this was not the first time she had been accused, but
no records survive for ear;ier trials. Incidentally, Elizabeth was sentenced
to hang, but the governor, at the request of her family, intervened, and
commuted the sentence to perpetual house arrest. She had to wear a ball and
chain and the only time she could leave the house was to go to church on
Sunday, escorted by the minister. Even the route she could take was stated
as part of her sentence.

The classic source on witchcraft in New England is Joihn Demos'
_Entertaining Satan_. I also recommend _Witchcraft, Magic and Religion in
17th Century Massachusetts_ by Richard Weisman. I haven't read Mary Beth
Norton's _In the Devil's Snare: The Salem Witchcraft Crisis of 1692_ but
I've read articles and heard lectures she gave on the subject. Apparently,
she offers some important correctives to earlier works on the subject, and
she rightly focuses on all of Essex County, not just Salem. Most
importantly, in my opinion, she examines the role of attitudes towards the
local Indian tribes and how the continuing conflict with the various
Wabanaki tribes helped to precipitate and prolong the hysteria of 1692 in
Essex County.

Francine Nicholson

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf