From: [log in to unmask]>Steven Heywood
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: e-books

It's one of the more depressing facets of human nature that in order to
encourage and facilitate inclusive behaviour we need to find little boxes
and labels to define those people we fear are being excluded and in doing so
can sometimes inadvertently end up either stereotyping or patronising the
individuals involved.

A long, long time ago when I was doing advice work I was on a training
course that was supposed to be addressing equal opportunity issues (and that
label's another can of worms!) We spent a whole afternoon applying labels to
"disadvantaged"(!) people of various types using photographs cut out of
magazines to make sure that we were using the correct terminologies (which
are subject to fashion anyway). As an exercise in taxonomy and group
dynamics it was fascinating. As an approach to providing services for
collections of human beings with unique needs and requirements it was pretty
unfulfilling.

I'm not fond of the word "ethnic" myself, especially not in the context of
service development. It's easy to be either accidentally patronising or so
circumspect as to be almost willfully obscure. Perhaps the next productive
loop on the list could address ways of describing how we're trying to
address the library needs of people who don't read or speak English (or
aren't entirely comfortable in it) and the needs of those people who speak
English but have different cultural traditions.

Just my personal opinion.

Steven

Steven Heywood
Systems Manager