Final reminder: The fifth World Archaeology Congress will be held in
Washington DC, June 21st-26th 2003.

Contributions are invited for the Theme "Archaeology in the Digital Age".
How archaeology is situated in our Digital Age is up for debate and is the
embodiment of our theme. We see this theme as a dialogue on the present
and future of archaeology in the 21st century. The sessions and papers
(and media projects) are chosen to explore the wealth of opinions and
expertise on this vast topic, ranging from nuts-and-bolts practical
information on Geographical Information Systems to producing non-linear
narratives and multi-vocal visualizations of the past.

A number of sessions are already planned, and we invite further offers of
specific papers within these sessions, or proposals for new sessions:

World Heritage/Virtual Heritage/Cultural Heritage/Whose Heritage?
Organised by Michael Ashley-Lopez and Mario Santana-Quintero

Envisioning and Embodying the Past: Hypermedia Explorations of Archaeology
Organised by Jeanne Lopiparo

'The future as past: preserving the computer age'
Organised by Christine Finn and Dag Spicer

From the Field to the File: Using Technology in Fieldwork.
Organised by Susan Kane and Gary Lock

The deadline for offers of papers or sessions is 1st January
2003. Visit the WAC5 web site or contact the theme organisers direct:

Julian D. Richards
Department of Archaeology
University of York, UK
email: [log in to unmask]

Michael Ashley Lopez
Department of Anthropology, Berkeley, USA
email: [log in to unmask]

Jeanne Lopiparo