A Russian friend has offered me the opportunity of taking a small
group for a two week trip to look at some of Russia's canals. The
boat will take 20 people in two-berth cabins with shower and WC. The
trip we hope to make is Moscow - Moscow Canal - Volga - Volga-Baltic
Canal - Duke of Wurtemberg's Canal (1870s technology with wooden
locks) - and then back to the Volga-Baltic Canal and hopefully up to
the Baltic-White Sea Canal before returning to Moscow.

The trip will last two weeks and the cost will be around £1100 plus
air fair to Moscow - usually around £300 if booked in advance. The
trip is under the auspices of the Russia Academy of Sciences, and one
of Russia's top canal historians will be accompanying the trip. The
exact date is yet to be confirmed (say when you can come!), but it
will be in June 2003.

I am sorry that this is very short notice, but it is an offer which
will not be repeated, certainly within the near future. I did try to
suggest that 2004 would be better, but my Russian contacts say it is
extremely difficult to organize such a trip in Russia so far in
advance.

If anyone is interested, could they contact me by 14 January so that
I can see if there are enough people for the trip to go ahead.

Please could you pass this on to anyone you think may be interested.

Regards
--
Mike Clarke, 41 Fountain St, Accrington, UK, BB5 0QR
tel: +44 (0)1254-395848