Hello all,

Crispin is right - there is no MIDAS unit or related INSCRIPTION list
directly equivalent to the Recording Englands Past (1993) NGR_QUALIFIER
field. I believe it was dropped in MIDAS (1998) in favour of the use of
'National Grid Reference Precision' (1, 10, 100 meters etc) and 'Topology'
(Point, Line, Polygon) units of information that seemed more in keeping with
the state of GIS information.

The qualifier unit, however, does convey more of a sense of the reliability
of the information (e.g. LO - locality only), mixed in with the more neutral
codes such as LIN - Linear, anfd the MIDAS units perhaps have lost this.

For some time now FISH has had a 2nd edition of MIDAS in the early stages of
planning, and this issue could well be tackled as part of the review of this
area. One suggestion, for example is a unit of information to indicate *how*
the locational information has been derived (e.g. to separate GPS data from
locations derived from old maps).

If anyone would like to be a part of discussion on this, then do get in
touch (perhaps the fish list - [log in to unmask] - might be a more
appropriate forum though)

Ed

English Heritage
Data Services Unit