Dear collegues hope you are doing fine. Well certainly it's common to used
this discussion list for some advirtising and to look for some help farther
than thematic discussion. I hope my questions doesn't make bad use of the
list perspective. I'm a Colombian geologist finishing master in science
studies, and pretending to continue PhD studies. Courrently we are
proposing as the project for PhD, the study of the Pre-Ordovician
(probabbly Neoproterozoic and older) basement complexes of the Eastern
Cordillera in Central and Northern Peru. THis domain includes a complexe
arrange of high grade metamorphic rocks in granulite facies (older unit), a
very low to medium grade meta vulcano-sedientary unit, and a series of
probabbly ophiolitic related units. The area was the focus of a
cartographic programme during the 70's by hte French team of the Orstrom
and the Peruvian geological Survey. WHereas a series of main deformational
events where recognised, and two main metamorphic events where
characterized, detail work on the specific tectonic and orogenic reccord of
this domains has not been done. Within a broad paleogeographic context this
area may challenge tectonic reconstruction of Meso and Neoproterozoic times
that relates the Amazon Craton with Laurentia and the possible reccord of
the Avalonian stop on NW Gondwana. Certainly other types of interpretation
are valid as the knowledge of this region is poorly constrained, in terms
of the tectonic environment, the chronology and the orogenic evolution.
We are intending to work within a regional perspective with isotopic,
geochronologic and geochemical analisys, whereas key areas that reccord the
complete tectonic asseambleage and the character of the ophiolitic domains
will be detailed analyzed.
Well the reason of my e-mail is to search for the interest of some of you
in participating in the project, the possibilitie of a so called sandwich
programme.
Thanks in advance
Agustin Cardona