From: Avis Furness
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Article 250

Article 250, para 2, of the Treaties reads as follows:

"As long as the Council has not acted, the Commission may alter its proposal at any time during the procedures leading to the adoption of a Community act."

I have been asked for an intepretation of what is meant by "has not acted".  I assume that, as far as cooperation and codecision procedures are concerned, that this means before the Council has adopted its Common Position - but I am no expert in what the Treaties mean!!

Can anyone point me in the direction of any kind of official and/or reliable interpretation on this?

grateful for your help, as ever,

regards
avis

Avis Furness