Venue: The RGS-IBG, 1 Kensington Gore, London
Date: Wednesday 3 - Friday 5 September

One of the consequences of the resurgence of the region in economic
geography in the last two decades has been a huge amount of attention
being paid to successful and exemplar regions.  This has skewed the
way that the idea of the region has developed, both in terms of the
consolidation of regional development theory but also the way
'regional units' are regarded by policy makers.  This phenomenon is at
its most common in policy discourses, with the rise of 'Silicon Valley
fever' the most obvious manifestation of this.  Equally, theoretical
developments have wrestled with the thorny issue of meaningfully
explaining uneven regional development in terms of observations
derived from the best regions.

In this session, jointly organised with the Regional Studies
Association, we highlight the ideographic diversity and relative
autonomy in the way key actors in peripheral regions develop.  For
this session, we specifically seek papers which critically explore,
critique and deconstruct accepted theories and conceptualisations in
contemporary economic geography which situate the subaltern region as
an actor with agency within a radical geographical political economy.
 We welcome all papers in economic and regional development geography
which take decentred or non-deterministic approaches to understanding
processes of regional development and socio-economic change,
highlighting their linkages to and anchors in global processes.  We
particularly welcome papers building commonalities between core and
peripheral regions at any scale, to address three questions:-

.       How are places building resistance to neoliberalising projects and
coalitions with other similar spaces?

.       How resilient are these spaces of dependence, and how successfully
can they support regional economic development? And

.       How - as geographers - can we conceptualise and theoretically affirm
these counter-hegemonic spaces?

Further information on the session is available at...

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/p.s.benneworth/ibg-03.htm

Dr. Paul Benneworth
ESRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow
CURDS
Newcastle University         E-mail [log in to unmask]
Newcastle upon Tyne       Office (0191) 222 8015
NE1 7RU                          Home   (0191) 258 7437
                                 Mobile: 0780 1538 758
'http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/p.s.benneworth/fellow.htm