>>>Roland Schwaenzl said:
> Dear Dave, dear Patrick,
>

> think it is one of the major problems
> with the current RDF drafts, that they
> say a lot of nice words about datatypes,
> but in fact do not allow to "define"
> any.

RDF datatypes don't require 'defining', although you can do that
somewhat. They requirements are:
   1) identification of the datatype
   2) giving its lexical form.

You can 'define' if you like them with:
  ex:myDatatype rdf:type rdfs:Datatype
but that is implied by:
  .. ex:prop "foo"^^ex:myDatatype

If you want to do such defining, then you can give more
information about the ex:myDatatype. (see below)

RDF datatypes are extensively explained in the RDF Primer

  Typed Literals
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-primer-20021111/#typedliterals

and  RDF Concepts and Abstract Syntax
  Datatypes
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-concepts-20021108/#section-Datatypes

which tell you what they are and how to use them.

However, there is more work being done on this which
you can read in RDF Primer section about defining vocabularies:

[[ 5. Defining RDF Vocabularies: RDF Schema

  @@This section currently does not include a discussion of
  rdfs:Datatype, and the declaration of specific datatypes in
  schemas, and requires further synchronization in a number of other
  areas with the RDF Vocabulary Description Language specification.@@
]]
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-rdf-primer-20021111/#rdfschema

I think this has been done in the next draft, not out yet.

> I can't see how to get a literal2value
> map in RDF - there doesn't even seem to be
> a standardized way to point to a resource,
> which would provide such a map somehow.

We leave that to existing datatype systems such as W3C XML Schema
(WXS) datatypes, for example.  There is extensive documentation and
implementation of that.  If your application handles them, by using
those datatype URIs, you get the mappings.

> This might be one of the reasons rdf-semantics
> is that weak on datatype entailments.

It was a non-goal to duplicate all the datatype work done elsewhere,
such as in WXS datatypes.  RDF datatyping just needed identification
of the datatype along with the lexical form (string).  The mapping is
up to the datatype designer.

> Think there is really missing some piece of
> vocabulary in the rdfs draft as compared
> to the rdf-concepts draft.

What piece?  You aren't saying exactly what is missing.

> I don't think DCMI can issue any recommendation
> based on drafts, which may change till they
> reach W3C recommendation - or at least a level,
> where W3C gives an official "call for implementation"
> level to the papers, which are now just drafts.

These documents may change at any time but we are preparing
them for what the W3C calls Last Call Working Draft, so the WG
is getting ready to consider them for the "call for implementation"
which is the stage following that, W3C Candidate Recommendation.

This is already begining to be implemented, there is at least one
implementation of RDF datatypes with XSD using the Euler system.

Dave