Yes I find it offensive language too Rebekah.

You do appear in a difficult situation in terms of your insecure
employment contract. Is the invitation you refer to open to
members of staff only or is it also open to friends and partners of
members of staff. If the latter, this could provide a way into raising
the issue - ie. it is not only about how the deparment is
representing itself to itself, it is also about how the department
represents itself to teh wider community. Arguing from the
perspective of the latter might afford you some protection, but still
enable you to raise the issue - ie. you are worried about how the
department is presenting itself to others and your anticipation that
the department might harm's it own reputation by usign such
terminology. This way you could position yourself as someone
trying to help the department avoid a problem rather than it being
about you 'creating' a problem.

I suppose beware of being marginalised, individualised and
ulitmately institutionalised by your department. Psychologists have
a whole toolbag at their disposal to do this to you.

There is a good literature on the disabilist use of language. I can try
and dig out references if you like

You've taught me much about working in a non-oppressive way, i'm
delighted to support you on this issue in any way I can.

Could I copy this to a couple of critical psychologists who work in
an around mental health issues (Ian Parker & Erica Burman) to
seek their support for you too? - but risks making it more public
than you are able to make it at present?

Paul Duckett
Community Psychologist
Department of Psychology and Speech Pathology
Elizabeth Gaskill Building
Manchester Metropolitan University
Hathersage Road
Manchester