From: Paul [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 December 2002 2:19 pm
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Oppressive Language

Yes I find it offensive language too Rebekah.

You do appear in a difficult situation in terms of your insecure employment
contract. Is the invitation you refer to open to members of staff only or is
it also open to friends and partners of members of staff. If the latter,
this could provide a way into raising the issue - ie. it is not only about
how the deparment is representing itself to itself, it is also about how the
department represents itself to teh wider community. Arguing from the
perspective of the latter might afford you some protection, but still enable
you to raise the issue - ie. you are worried about how the department is
presenting itself to others and your anticipation that the department might
harm's it own reputation by usign such terminology. This way you could
position yourself as someone trying to help the department avoid a problem
rather than it being about you 'creating' a problem.

I suppose beware of being marginalised, individualised and ulitmately
institutionalised by your department. Psychologists have a whole toolbag at
their disposal to do this to you.

There is a good literature on the disabilist use of language. I can try and
dig out references if you like

You've taught me much about working in a non-oppressive way, i'm delighted
to support you on this issue in any way I can.

Could I copy this to a couple of critical psychologists who work in an
around mental health issues (Ian Parker & Erica Burman) to seek their
support for you too? - but risks making it more public than you are able to
make it at present?

Paul Duckett
Community Psychologist
Department of Psychology and Speech Pathology
Elizabeth Gaskill Building
Manchester Metropolitan University
Hathersage Road
Manchester
M13 0JA
+44 161 247 2552
+44 161 247 6364
e-mail [log in to unmask]
--
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by
charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA.  Privileged/Confidential Information may