Dear Mr Haythornthwait and all,

There's a good backstory, along with a great photo of the gravesite of Hadji
Ali ("Hi Jolly"), a Syrian who "employed" some of these camels later.

<http://www.outwestnewspaper.com/camels.html>

Of course this brings to mind the camp-song "Hi Jolly", which has a vaguely
Kiplingesque sound to it (well, all right, it has internal rhyming and a
little bit of mystery).  The version I reproduce is from memory, as it was
sung by the Christy Minstrels in the early '60s.

CHORUS: Hi Jolly, Hey Jolly, 20 miles today, by golly,
20 more before the morning light
Hi Jolly Hey, I gotta be on my way, I
Told my gal I'd be home Sunday night.

Hi Jolly was a camel driver long time ago
Followed Mr Blaine away out west
Didn't mind the burning sand in that godforsaken land
But he didn't mind the pretty gals the best.  And singing (CHORUS)

There's pretty gals in Albuquerque, 'least that's what I've heard
Pretty gals in Tucumcari too
Now honey I ain't lyin', but I don't pay them any mind
I'm saving all my lovin' just for you.  And singing (CHORUS)

Old-timers out in Arizona'll tell ya that it's true
You can see Hi Jolly's ghost a-travelin' still
When the desert moon is bright he comes ridin' through the night
Leadin' 4-and-20 camels 'cross the hill,  And singing (CHORUS)

And shoutin' (CHORUS)...