-----Original Message-----
From: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Marjorie Greene
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 2:53 PM
To: John Wickstrom
Subject: Re: devil as monk

Dear Carlos,

When I think of the frequent depictions of
monks/abbots going to hell on various tympana, etc.
the distinguishing feature of the monk/abbot is the
tonsure or the mitre, hence my questioning of the
cowled cloak as sure indication of the status of the
temptor. In fact, I'd be inclined to see these cloaked
figures as pilgrims (or hermits/beggars) more than
anything else.
Best,
MG