From: David Evans [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 26 November 2002 17:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Time Capsules

Time Capsules are quite different from foundation deposits, which I suspect
the Whitley Court example may be, in that they are intended to be found and
opened. A sense of place, belonging and a past are involved in the ritual of
deposition and recovery. I am sure that someone could find an appropriate
quote from the Lord of the Rings to fit here. Remember it was the person who
was involved with the deposition of the capsule who asked how best the site
could be recorded.

Thank you
David Evans
Historic Environment Record
01454 863649

>>> [log in to unmask] 26/11/2002 14:46:36 >>>
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but doesn't it rather miss the point of a
time capsule if everyone knows where it is, and when its going to be dug up?
Surely there's a role for serendipity here... Perhaps we should deliberately
forget these rather than recording them :-)

Ed

This email and any files transmitted with it from South
Gloucestershire Council are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the South Gloucestershire Council
Postmaster at the address below.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.