I would agree--and speculate that the cardiologist did not risk-stratify the patient for risk of a fib and for her risk of bleeding on warfarin (for both of which there is high-quality evidence). She and her primary doctors may have sensed this omission at some conscious or semi-conscious level.
So I would speculate that the cardiologist's recommendation was not fully evidence-based, in addition to flouting the patient's autonomy.

Jim

James M. Walker, M.D.
Chief Medical Information Officer
Geisinger Health System
570 271-6750
Internal Mail Code 30-06

>>> "k.hopayian" <[log in to unmask]> 11/10/02 03:08AM >>>
A recent paper in the BMJ sets up a false opposition between EBP and the
consideration of patient values and beliefs.

BMJ 2002;325:1018-1020 ( 2 November ) Clinical review  Integrated narrative
and evidence based case report. Case report of paroxysmal atrial
fibrillation and anticoagulation
Reis  et al

http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7371/1018

The authors state "This paper tries to bridge gaps between a patient's and
doctor's narratives and the evidence."

The authors describe how they listened to their patient and helped her to
arrive at a decision not to take warfarin after a cardiologist had
recommended she take it for AF. Reading their report, it seemed to me that
the patient had had a dysfunctional consultation in which she felt that her
feelings and beliefs were ignored. It is fallacious to go from the fact that
there is evidence favouring the use of warfarin in AF to the belief that you
should use it  and then to go on to wield this belief as proof that EBP
dictates what patients should do.

--
Kev (Kevork) Hopayian
GP, The Surgery, Main St, Leiston, Suffolk, IP16 4ES, England