Dear colleagues

The closing date for registering to attend the EIPA/EIA conference KEEP AHEAD
WITH EUROPEAN INFORMATION is fast approaching.. The conference takes place on
the 28 and 29 November 2002 at the European Information of Publication
Administration in Maastricht, The Netherlands.

The objective of the conference is to highlight all the main developments and
trends of the year in European information with authoritative speakers from the
key European Institutions, organisations and publishers.

In 2002 we are, inevitably, highlighting the European Commission's
Communication on a new information and communication strategy for the European
Union..

In addition, we have speakers talking about the information dimension of:
* Interactive policymaking
* the consolidation, codification and recasting of EU legislation, plus the
process to translate the acquis communautaire into the languages of the
applicant countries
* the EULEX project: to access the text of national measures implementing
Community Directives
* Recent developments and future initiatives at EUR-OP

We have a speaker providing an objective comparative analysis of the plus and
minus points of the Registers of Documents from the Council, Commission and
European Parliament, plus speakers talking about the information activities of
DG Justice and Home Affairs and DG Enlargement of the European Commision, plus
the information and communication activities of the European Anti-Fraud Office
(OLAF)

Finally, I will also be giving my customary overview of the major European
information developments of the year, which this year will be looking, in
particular, at the information dimension of the European Commission's new
Strategic Planning and Programming Cycle and the increasing trend towards soft
law approaches to policy making through such mechanisms as peer review,
scoreboards, social dialogue agreements etc.

Delegates come from all over Europe and a wide range of organisation, including
the EU Instititions, national governments, EU information relays and networks,
the commercial sector, etc, which makes for a stimulating and informal mix.

Full details can be seen at either
http://www.eipa.nl/activities/02/11101_28Nov/en/programme.htm
or
http://www.eia.org.uk/progkeep02.htm

Hope to see you there.

Best wishes

Ian

Ian Thomson
Editor, European Access/European Access Plus
[http://www.europeanaccess.co.uk]
Executive Editor, KnowEurope
[http://www.knoweurope.net]
Manager, European Documentation Centre, Cardiff University
Information Consultant, Wales Euro Info Centre
President, European Information Association

Contact details:
European Documentation Centre
The Guest Building
PO Box 430