I haven't read the Israeli study, as everyone knows, however, what you are
talking about, Richard, is more along the lines of what we would like to
read. Referring to an earlier post of mine, we ought intuitively to be able
to say that when students are exposed to IT/ICT and allowed to assimilate it
into their learning culture, we ought to see advances in their responses.

The Cardiff study I menionted said these payoffs didn't exist: I found they
do in the context of both of my own examples cited here and you are saying
the same.

Let me repeat: when these studies ask the wrong questions, they are bound to
get the wrong answers.

From what has been said here and from what people are clearly thinking, we
need to take a much broader view than, eg, do students who learn accounting
via spreadsheeting fare better than students who don't? I see from a
Geography GCSE syllabus that their requirements for course work are drafted
very broadly; and I think that is appropriate otherwise Richard's students
would have their enthusiasm, and much deeper knowledge and skills, squashed.

Duncan Williamson