Suitably chastised, Simon. I then found out the following to atone for
my sins:

The starting date for all of the FTSE based indices are as follows:

FTSE100: 31/12/83
FTSE All share: 10/4/62
FTSE250: 31/12/85
FTSE350: 31/12/85

Smallcap: 31/12/92
Fledgling: 30/12/94
FTSE AllShare ex Investment: 12/5/97
FTSE350 ex Investment: 12/5/97
FTSE IT: 31/12/97
FTSE All Share ex multinationals: 30/9/99

Hope that's useful!

Best wishes

Duncan Williamson