I raise this subject because it is pertinent to a friend
he would like to put in a budget request for an extra 100 pounds to get a
better quality textbook for his students.

he would also like an electronic whiteboard and PC, projector bracket etc. -
cost - xxx thousands.

Which request is likelier to be more successful? And what is the opportunity
cost of each. I think pound for pound the textbooks win - but the whiteboard
is more probable- its more sexy and capital budgets are separate from
consumables. Crazy economics and Enron accounting.