From: Heino Nyyssönen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CFP: Politics and Memory in Central and Eastern Europe,
Edinburgh, March 28 to April 2, 2003

Call for Papers: Workshop on Politics and Memory in Central and Eastern
Europe

The European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) will be hosted by
the University of Edinburgh, 28th March to 2nd April, 2003. Our Workshop
in Edinburgh deals with Politics and Memory (see below).  We welcome
theoretical and empirical approaches, case studies, historical and
comparative papers dealing with memory as a political phenomenon.
Especially we are interested in papers focusing on Central and the former
Eastern Europe.

Send your abstract (max. 1 page) by December 1 either to Heino Nyyssönen
or Wolf-Dieter Narr. See further information on ECPR web pages
http://www.ecprnet.org, Workshop Number 16: Politics and Memory.

Directors:
Heino Nyyssönen, Department of
Social Sciences and Philosophy, University of Jyväskylä, P.O. Box 35,
FIN-40351 JYVÄSKYLÄ, Finland Tel/Fax: +(36) 1 395 2069 Email:
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]

Wolf-Dieter Narr, Fachbereich
Politische Wissenschaft, Freie Universität Berlin, Potsdamer Strasse 41,
D-12205 Berlin, Germany Tel//fax +(49) 30 833 7162 Email:

The world is full of memorials, statues and national holidays, which
remind people of their past. At the same time there is also the idea that
we forget the past. Who wishes to remember and who to forget?  Which
political acts serve as commemorations and what do they mean to various
communities?  The workshop will deal with memory as political process.
How do we determine what should be commemorated? How is this effected? We
welcome theoretical and empirical approaches, case studies, historical and
comparative papers dealing with memory as a political phenomenon and
especially relating to one of the following topics.  1) History politics
(Geschichtspolitik) and history in the present; 2) Politics of names
(What kinds of name are politically significant objects?); 3) Politics of
memorials and statues (What is to be commemorated, why and how?);  4)
Politics of dates (How far and in which form are dates "commemorable"?);
5) Rhythms of politics of commemorations; 6) Politics of memoirs and
biographies.

Heino Nyyssönen
Political Scientist, Ph.D
Finnish Academy of Sciences
tel. & fax. +36-1-3952069 (Home)
mobile +36-20-5202306 (Hungary) +44-5160563 (Finland)