Even if David Blunkett is visually impaired, and so one of
the most visibly disabled members of parliament, it doesn't
(and shouldn't) mean that he gets the automatic "disabled
vote". Anyone who follows his statements will be under no
allusions that his political agenda has a lot to be desired
- education, aslyum seekers etc.
Herkiran Toor,
BT Project Manager
Centre for Access & Communication Studies
University of Bristol - Union Building
Queen's Road
Bristol BS8 1LN
0117 954 5717

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:56:52 +0000 Michael Peckitt
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To all
>
> I have been following this thread with great interest and am also a fan of
> the 'West Wing', watching with interest as the the fictional president
> approaches re-election (If you have a cable here in Britain we are in Season
> 3, non-cable peple have to wait a year).  No doubt the West Wing will have a
> happy ending.
>
> However, I do worry that in Britain at least 'we do not elect a prime
> minister in a wheelchair', that is to say with any impairment and  I think
> this might stretch to presidents.  Personally, political views aside I would
> consider voting for someone like David Blunkett who has some sight problems
> (I do not mean to patronize I don't know his exact impairment). - currently
> Home Secretary as Prime Minister, but would others. Disabilty if not linked
> to powerlessness is often linked to 'in need of assistance', and people in
> power are often (wrongly in my view) seen as one ho ought to be able to
> stand alone.  Every peron in power has advisors.
>
> People forget that Churchill had bi-polar disorder, Anthony Eden had cancer
> , (which granted along with the Suez Canal led to his resignation).  Of
> course this was hidden at the time.
>
> I think the West Wing deals quite well with MS by not makng it the dominat
> issue - as if the disability alone defines 'President Barlett' there are
> other facets to any PWD than their disability.
>
> This is becoming a rant, either way I shall remain a West Wing fan.
>
> Michael

> Archives and tools for the Disability-Research Discussion List
> are now located at:
>
> www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/disability-research.html
>
> You can JOIN or LEAVE the list from this web page.

are now located at: