I have been member of the BMA for last 12 years and I have to say after yesterday performance of our so called "leaders" I am thinking about resigning from the BMA and join the HSCA. Machin's interview on the telly was appalling and demonstrate that he still hasn't got a clue why consultants rejected the contract. Machin, Porter and Borman need to resign immediately and new blood brought to the negotiations.

From yesterdays interviews,  two people came out with full honours, Paul Thorpe(Junior doctors Committee BMA) and Steve Campion (HSCA). They were direct and rebutted most of the nonsense robustly.

The BMA have to think its future carefully or it could self-destruct.

Andres I. Martin

Consultant in Accident and Emergency
Royal Free Hospital

-----Original Message-----
From: Accident and Emergency Academic List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Andrew Hobart
Sent: 31 October 2002 10:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Consultant Contract UK

The ballot of UK Consultants and SpRs has resulted in a rejection of the new contract by a majority of two to one.

Will Hawker et al do the decent thing and resign?

Will the BMA and DoH renegotiate?

Will they remember this time that there is one group of Consultants who already do fixed sessions out of hours or will they ignore A&E Medicine again?

Good interview by Steve Meek on BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/38406000/rm/_38406679_consultant06_allen_vi.ram

Watch this space …

Andrew Hobart

A&E Consultant East London