>From: Bernadette Filotas Could some learned listmember tell me what the
>opinion is of P. W. Joyce, A
Social History of Ancient Ireland? I've come across a description of Druidic
practices drawn from it. It is very interesting and I'd like to use it, but
I am
not sure how reliable it is. I don't have a copy of Joyce handy, but in my
memory of it, there was not much in the way of references to sources.

P.W. Joyce, like many of his contemporaries, is best handled with a large
dose of caution. I haven't read Joyce cover-to-cover, nor do I own a copy,
but I've been party to discussions where we tried to figure out what sources
he was using for his statements and descriptions. Most people I know
wouldn't disregard his statements outright because there's reason to believe
that he had access to written and oral sources that have been lost. However,
one of his sources definitely was his own imagination, hence the need for
caution, especially for something like descriptions of "druids." After all,
almost every description of "druids" written in Ireland dates from long
after the last druid died (a couple of seventh-century references may date
to a period when a few die-hards were still drawing breath and some of their
teachings almost certainly survived in adapted form). His descriptions of
customs of his time are valuable. His descriptions of customs from earlier
times (including druids) are useful primarily for historiographers and those
interested in what  nineteenth- and early twentieth-century Irish people
believed about their origins.
Hope that helps.

Francine Nicholson

to: [log in to unmask]