Dear David,
I do agree that a report on the Channel 4 programme is a good idea. I like
your tactful "with varying degrees of success" but must admit that the
programme depressed me so much that I wasn't really attending properly
towards the end.
It seemed largely to reinforce the steryotyped and narrow picture of R.K.
and not to give credence to the fact that he was writing advice to a "son"
(and why not?),  even though that might have been a council of perfection,
as he himself admits. The response to the poem surprised Kipling, and I am
sure, many Kipling readers.
With best wishes,
Jane Keskar