Good day, eh!

For a study from a slightly different viewpoint that provides what seems
to me (a dogmatician, not an art historian) a striking parallel to
Dennis's comments, see Herman Sasse, "The Theology of the Cross" in WE
CONFESS JESUS CHRIST.

I believe Sasse's brief history of the development of crosses to
crucifixes to shockingly realistic crucifixes may illuminate this
discussion.

Sasse's general theme -- libelously adumbrated -- is that ecclesiastical
art was didactic and responded to the perceived didactic needs of the
times in the middle ages.  He explains the development of crucifixes in
these terms in the first part of his essay, then turns to the development
of Luther's theology of the cross in the latter portion.  It is the first
portion that seems to me to speak cogently to our discussion.

Kindest regards to all for what has been for me a most interesting
discussion.  We Reformation types see farther when we stand on the
shoulders of you medievalists.  Thanks for yet another leg up!

Frank

Frank Morgret
15 Towering Hts -- #1206
St Catharines, Ontario