Hello all,

As late as the early modern period, not only Easter and Pentecost
Mondays were official holidays in Sweden (they still are), but also
the following Tuesday and Wednesday. We call these days second
(Monday), third (Tuesday) and fourth (Wednesday) day of Easter or
Pentecost. Third and forth day of Easter and Pentecost were official
holidays in Sweden until 1772.

Monica Weikert

>response to a simple typographical error: Easter Monday as a public
>holiday derives, I assume from the importance of the Octave of the
>Resurrection (whether one calls it Easter--regardlesss of whence
>that term may be derived--or Resurrection as the Greeks do doesn't
>matter--it celebrates the resurrection) from the very earliest
>liturgical practices.  Neophytes (the newly baptized at the Easter
>Vigil) wore white for a week etc.)  But one can hardly expect a
>society to take a whole week off work, so, my assumption is (others
>can correct me if I'm wrong) that celebrating Easter Monday and
>Pentecost Monday, which are still holidays in most German federal
>states, if I am not mistaken, and undoubtedly in other Western
>European countries) was one way of marking the Octave without
>devoting a full eight days to it.  As far as South Carolina was
>concerned, I would assume it would derive from Anglican influence
>there--Anglicans, Lutherans as well as Catholics would have shared
>this liturgical practice.  But perhaps someone else knows more about
>these customs the states Elizabeth Whitaker mentioned.
>

>Dennis Maritn

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]