Actually, the Chicago Manual abbreviation for Genesis is "Gen."  Which
highlights the problem of consistency rather nicely---I suspect that, as in
so many cases, British and American usage is different in the matter of
biblical abbreviation.  I know that in German *many* abbreviations are the
same, but by no means all, most notably the books like Judges (in German
"Richter") that don't have proper nouns as the title but are instead
translated into different languages.

In Latin, there's some overlap, but again if the title is a word that can
be translated it's very different.  My edition of the Vulgate (Stuttgart:
Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, 1983, 3rd ed.) has the following abbreviations:
Gn              (for which the Chicago abbreviation in English is Gen.)
Ex              (Exod.)
Lv              (Lev.)
Nm              (Num)
Dt               (Deut.)
Ios              (Josh.)
Idc             (Judg.)
Rt              (Ruth)
I-II Sm         (1-2 Sam.)
III-IV Rg       (1-2 Kings)
I-II Par        (1-2 Chron.)
I-II Esr        (1-2 Esdras)
Tb              (Tobit)
Idt             (Judith)
Est             (Esther)
Iob              (Job)
Ps              (Ps.)
Prv             (Prov.)
Ecl              (Eccles.)
Ct              (Song of Sol.)
Sap              (Wisd. of Sol.)
Sir              (Ecclus.)
Is              (Isa.)
Ier              (Jer.)
Lam              (Lam.)
Bar              (Bar.)
Ez              (Ezek.)
Dn              (Dan.)
Os              (Hos.)
Ioel             (Joel)
Am               (Amos)
Abd             (Obad.)
Ion             (Jon.)
Mi              (Mic.)
Na              (Nah.)
Hab             (Hab.)
So              (Zeph.)
Agg             (Hag.)
Za              (Zech.)
Mal             (Mal.)
I-II Mcc        (1-2 Macc.)
Mt              (Matt.)
Mc              (Mark)
Lc              (Luke)
Io              (John)
Act             (Acts)
Rm              (Rom.)
I-II Cor        (1-2 Cor.)
Gal             (Gal)
Eph             (Eph.)
Phil            (Phil.)
Col            (Col.)
I-II Th         (1-2 Thess.)
I-II Tim        (1-2 Tim.)
Tit             (Titus)
Phlm            (Philem.)
Hbr             (Heb.)
Iac             (James)
I-II Pt         (1-2 Pet.)
Io              (1-3 John)
Iud             (Jude)
Apc             (Rev. or Apoc.)

Phyllis

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>While we're on the subject of the Bible, could someone
>tell me if there is a uniformity of abbreviations of
>books of the Bible (e.g. Gn = Genesis) in Latin,
>English, French, Spanish, German and Italian? I
>realize I could hunt up copies of the good book in
>these various tongues but thought I'd be lazy and ask
>if someone on this learned list could spare me the
>trouble.
>Thanks much,
>MG

>Y! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your web site
>http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]