Thanks, Brother Thomas, for that informative URL. In
AZ there are two dioceses less than 150 miles apart,
both in AZ's largest cities. Wyoming and Utah have one
diocese apiece. Nevada has two, Las Vegas and Reno.
Louisiana has at least 4, all clustered in the south
where all the Catholics are. I'd suspect that the same
practicality governing this situation today was at
work 1000 years ago also.
MG