I confess. I said I *thought* population rather than
territorial sprawl determined a diocese. For example,
I live in AZ and if I'm not mistaken the entire state
is one diocese, that of Phoenix. Surely someone on
this list must have a definitive answer to this? I'm
willing to bet that Nevada, Alaska, Wyoming also have
one diocese per state, whereas Montana with a large
Catholic population *probably* has more. I'll try to
find out. It stands to reason that if there are 40
Catholics in a state the size of, say, Texas, it makes
sense to put them in someone else's diocese rather
than have one bishop looking after 40 souls.
MG
p.s. I bet you'd look great in a tiara and veil.