Someone dropped a comment in passing on another mailing list about
the idea that nuns didn't wear belts (she was asking how a
paternoster or rosary would have been carried). This baffled me,
since I'd never heard of such a thing -- I'd always assumed that like
monks, nuns wore leather or woven belts or girdles, the Franciscans
being an exception in wearing a knotted cord instead.

Anyone have information on nuns' belts?

I was further confused by reading descriptions of a monastic
overgarment known as the "cucullus," which according to the
encyclopedia I consulted said was "never cinched in at the waist."
The description made it sound as though this was the ordinary outer
tunic of the habit.

Another contributor, writing about St. Teresa of Avila's Carmelites, said:
>Regarding belts...  while nuns wouldn't generally be allowed leather belts,
>they would still wear a cincture... frequently a piece of rope wrapped
>around the waist.

O    Chris Laning
+    Davis, California

to: [log in to unmask]